How to Renew Your Expired License
Need to renew your Oregon driver’s license? We have collected helpful information to assist you with the renewal process and make it easier and more convenient.
There are three ways to renew a driver’s license in Oregon. You can either do it:
- Online application and Checklist download
- By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)
- In person at your local DMV office.
Driving is a privilege, not a freedom. If you want to continuously exercise that privilege, you need to renew your license before its expiration date. License renewal is fairly easy and affordable. You’ll need to determine the status if your license by getting a copy of your driving record.
If you find that your license is expired, you have til one year after the expiration to renew your license at your local DMV office. You will also need to retake the knowledge test and the drive test after renewing.
To renew your commercial driver’s license, present your current driver’s license along with your renewal notice as proof of age and identity. If you have not received a renewal notice, you will be required to present another form of proper identification.
If you have changed address, you need to show a proof of your new address. If you’re 50 years old and above, you will need to undergo another DMV vision screening. For the hazardous materials endorsement renewal, you will need to pay for the hazmat knowledge test and pass it.
Renewing your commercial driver’s license requires you to pay $10 for the hazmat knowledge test and $89.25 for the TSA criminal background check. A valid Department of Transportation waiver/exemption or Medical Card is also required.
Renewal of license can only be done either in person of through mail. There is no online transaction for license renewal as this could potentially cause identity thefts. If you are unable to go to the DMV office, or if you are currently out of state or out of the country, you may call the DMV at (503) 945-5400 to request for a Valid without Photo driver’s license.
Simply mail your application form along with your fee to the DMV office and your renewal license will be mailed to you. To renew your driver’s license in person, follow these steps:
- Provide your proof of identity, social security number, and proof of legal presence in the U.S.
- Provide your proof of address – this is only applicable if you have changed your address.
- Provide honest answers on medical questions. A series of medical questions will be asked to determine if you have any condition that could affect your ability in operating a vehicle.
- Pass a vision screening. This is only applicable to drivers aged 50 years and above.
- Pay $39 for the fee. This fee is for Class C licenses. The acceptable mode of payment is through cash and check only. Debit and credit cards are not accepted.
All fees pertaining to license renewals, originals and license upgrades are valid for eight years. After you have renewed your license, there is a supplemental traffic school course provided by the DMV which you may want to take. This course serves as a refresher program to help you remember the rules of the road.
Renew by Mail
To renew a driver’s license in Oregon via mail:
1. Send a check or money order, the check or money order must be writen out to Division of Motor Vehicles.
2. Include Proof of Social Security number
3. Photocopy of insurance card. The insurance card must show that there is liability coverage.
Note: If the driver is not the owner of the vehicle and does not have proof of insurance, then he or she will need to enclose a non-ownership of a motor vehicle affidavit along with the other documents.